Laws are made for a reason, right? They keep us safe and allow us to feel protected. They just make sense.
But if you think about how some laws came about, at one point in time, somebody had to do something so terrible or stupid that the government said, “Hey, we should put an end to this.” (When you think about the man who first discovered cows make milk…what do you think he was doing?)
For your entertainment, below are a few traffic laws that are so ridiculous, it’ll be hard to believe that at one time, a person actually did it.
1. Massachusetts: Think twice before raiding the zoo—according to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), it’s illegal to drive with a gorilla in the backseat of your car.
2. Michigan and Oklahoma: You’re going to have to wait until you get home to catch up on the daily newspaper in Michigan. Nationwide says that it’s against the law to sit in the middle of the street and read a newspaper. The same goes for comic books in Oklahoma—you’ll be ticketed if a police officer sees you paging through the latest Marvel.
3. California: Want a cheap thrill? Whatever you do, avoid jumping out of a car going more than 65 MPH in Glendale, California. Metro Traffic School says it’s illegal (on top of being idiotic). Maybe go to an amusement park instead?
4. Alabama. Put those blindfolds down! Officials have made it illegal to drive while blindfolded (shouldn’t that have been obvious?).
5. New Mexico. Sorry, cab drivers. You’re going to have to wrangle customers the good ‘ol fashioned way. It’s forbidden for taxi drivers to reach out and pull potential customers into their taxis.
Ancira Auto Group is dedicated to keeping the roads free from harm. Protect yourself and loved ones from car accidents with the Ancira Drive Safe Program. To learn more, visit www.ancira.com or contact one of their dealerships in San Antonio, Texas.