Dine like a royal
Enjoy tasty tarts, tea and sandwiches that are fit for the Queen of England. Plus, this chicken salad is a royal tradition. Find out how you can try it at home.
4821 Broadway St.
2cooked chicken breasts, roasted or poached2 tablespoons butter
1shallot, finely chopped1tablespoon curry powder
1/2cup chicken stock2 tablespoon apricot jam
1/2cup mayonnaise1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
1large mango, peeled, pitted & diced2green onions, minced
1lemon, zest & juice2tablespoon cilantro, minced
1/4cup sliced almonds, toasted for garnish - green salad leaves, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the shallot and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook another minute. Add the chicken stock and reduce a minute or two.
2. Add in the jam and cook until melted and thick. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix the mayonnaise and the sour cream in a bowl until well combined, and then stir in the curry dressing. Add the mango, onions, lemon zest and juice and herbs.
4. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Fold this into the mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt, pepper to taste. Serve with a green salad, and garnish with toasted almonds.
Cucumber Tea Sandwich
8slices bread for tea sandwiches1English cucumber
4tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature 1/2teaspoon lemon zest
1teaspoon lemon juice1tablespoon fresh mint, minced
Salt & pepper
2tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1. Peel and slice the cucumber very thin into long strips. Cut the cucumber slices the same length as the bread slices.
2. Combine the cream cheese, lemon zest and juice and mint in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread the softened butter on all slices of bread. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the butter.
4. Arrange the cucumber slices on half of the bread. Top with remaining bread. Cut off the crusts and cut into desired shapes.