WIC program hopes education keys to helping more mothers
More than 32,000 people in the San Antonio area are signed up with the WIC program and Metro Health wants to do more.
The plan starts with education as a means to help more mothers.
Angelica Jaramillo stays plenty busy between her four kids.
"I have a 9 year old, an 8 year old, a two year old, and my youngest will be 1 tomorrow," Jaramillo said.
And the expenses come with them.
"I have to buy school supplies and I have to buy school clothes and shoes.It adds up really quick." Jaramillo said.
WIC Program Manager Maggie Saldana said she's not alone.
"A lot of kiddos are at home and their parents have limited funds coming into WIC they can have some healthy options." Saldana said.
Jaramillo is no stranger to the WIC program.
"I had a six year break and now I'm back on WIC with my 2 and one year old," Jaramillo said.
Saldana says WIC provides more than financial aid at their offices, and at resource fairs like these.
"Healthcare, we also have immunization, we also have CPS can give them some tips on how to get discounts on their bills," Saldana said.
Which Jaramillo said helps one group in particular.
"It's scary being a first time mom, you don't know what to eat or how to eat or how much you can eat, you want to make sure you're the healthiest," Saldana said.
She said the program can help lift what's weighing these moms down.
"It's such a big sigh of relief for them and you can see a whole stress has just kind of left them," Saldana said.
To participate in WIC you must be a:
- Pregnant woman
- Postpartum woman (up to six months after delivery)
- Breastfeeding woman (up to one year after delivery)
- Parents (including single mothers and fathers), step-parents, guardians, and foster parents of children under age 5.
- Meet Household Income: Texas WIC Income Guidelines
- Have Nutritional Issues: Assessed at your First Appointment - Could be a variety of deficiencies.
- Live in Texas: WIC clients usually receive services in the county where they live. U.S. citizenship is not a requirement for eligibility. You may attend any clinic you wish to attend.