VIDEO: The latest on the shooting at Sutherlands Springs First Baptist Church

Texas Department of Public Safety press conference

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas (KABB/WOAI) - Federal, state and local authorities held a press conference with the latest details in the tragic Sutherland Springs mass shooting. (Updated as of 10 p.m. central time.)

Autopsy results

An autopsy on the shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, revealed he sustained three gunshot wounds, including two from an armed citizen, who shot him once in the leg and once in the torso. The third gunshot wound to the head appears to be self-inflicted according to the medical examiner.

Officials said more than 15 different magazines were recovered at the scene, each with 30 rounds. Hundreds of shell casings were found around the church, officials said.

Four people remain in serious condition and another 10 people are listed in critical condition.

Authorities said one of the victims was pregnant. Her unborn baby was included in the official death total, which remains at 26.

Victims have been identified and their families have been notified of their deaths.

Watch the full press conference here:

The Air Force did not submit Kelley's criminal records

The Trump administration said the Air Force did not submit Kelley's criminal history to the FBI, as required by the Pentagon.

Kelley was convicted of assault in an Air Force court martial in 2012 and given a bad conduct discharge in 2014.

Witness recounts moments during shooting

Our Randy Beamer spoke with a man who witnessed the shooting unfold Sunday.

"We went inside and I said 'something is not right,'" he said. "It just didn't feel right. As soon as we walked in there, I could see he already had gotten to the building of the church. And as soon as he got here we started hearing (gun noises). He was unloading. He didn't take his finger off the trigger. He just went in there and started killing everybody."

Watch the full five minute interview below.

First responders save a life

First responders found Tobias Walker bleeding "profusely" from a gunshot wound that entered his neck. They quickly stablized him, placed a gauze into the wound and applied manual pressure.

Walker was "bleeding to death" but he managed to survive.

In total, the University Hospital has eight patients from Sunday's shooting (five adults, three children.) One child died at the hospital, officials said.

Watch the full press conference here.

Gunman didn't have a license to carry

Investigators said the man suspected of killing 26 people at a church service did not have a license to carry. Three firearms have been recovered. Officials said the suspect, identified as 26-year-old Devin Patrick Kelley, of New Braunfels, bought four firearms in total. Two were purchased in Colorado and two were purchased in Texas. He purchased one firearm per year between 2014 and 2017.

A spokeswoman with Academy Sports + Outdoors said Kelley purchased two of the guns from one of their stores in San Antonio, one in 2016 and one in 2017. She said the company "confirmed that both sales were approved by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)."

During the press conference Monday morning, officials said there was a "domestic situation" going on in the family and the shooting is not believed to be racially or politically charged. Kelley allegedly sent threatening messages to his mother-in-law, a congregant of the church. There is not a terrorism investigation open at this time.

There is video from inside the church

Investigators said that although there is very little of it, there is video from inside the church. It is currently being reviewed as part of the investigation.

The shooter purchased the guns at a San Antonio Academy store

Kelley purchased the two guns from two San Antonio area Academy locations -- one in 2016, and another in 2017.

Here is Academy's official statement:

Academy Sports + Outdoors sends our deepest condolences to the families of the victims and the entire Sutherland Springs community. Based on information we received from law enforcement, we confirmed that the suspect purchased two firearms from two San Antonio locations, one in 2016 and one in 2017. We also confirmed that both sales were approved by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). We are cooperating with law enforcement as they investigate further.

The victims

The Texas Rangers are the lead agency handling the investigation. They said of the 26 people killed in the massacre, 23 were killed inside the church, two were killed outside, and one person passed away at a hospital. Officials said the names of all the victims would be released once next of kin were notified. The victims ranged in age from 18 months to 77 years old.

Twenty were injured; of those, 10 people remain in critical condition, four remain in serious condition, and six are either in stable condition or have been released. All bodies have been removed from the church. A Brooke Army Medical Center spokesman said the hospital has received eight patients -- six adults and two minors. All have significant injuries. Seven of those patients were transported via ambulance and one was airlifted.

Although no names have been released, many family members have come forward to identify the ones they've lost.

We have a full list of victims in Sunday's shooting and their photos HERE.

A Good Samaritan helped chase the shooter

After the shooting inside the church, investigators said Kelley exchanged gunfire with a Good Samaritan. He was injured but still managed to get into an SUV and drive away. Investigators said Kelley placed a call to his father and said he thought he might not survive. He then shot himself. The cause of his death remains under investigation.

KABB/WOAI spoke to one of the men who helped chase Kelley before he crashed his car in a field near the county line and died.

“I did what I thought I needed to do,” said Johnnie Langendorff. “They said that there’s a shooting. I pursued and I just, just did what I thought was the right thing to do.”

The gunman previously worked at H-E-B and Schlitterbahn

Kelley was previously employed with H-E-B and Schlitterbahn. Schlitterbahn released the following statement.:

We, like the rest of our community, were horrified to learn of the tragedy in Sutherland Springs at the First Baptist Church. We are keeping everyone impacted by this malicious act in our thoughts and our prayers.
Devin Patrick Kelley worked briefly – 5 1/2 weeks - this summer at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels as a seasonal unarmed night security guard. His employment was terminated.
All our security guards must pass a criminal background check through the Texas Department of Public Safety.

H-E-B said Kelley worked at an undisclosed location for two months in 2013.

Watch the full press conference here:

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off