San Antonio Firefighters battle pair of New Year's Eve blazes
SAN ANTONIO - Firefighters rang in the New Year by battling a pair of fires on New Year's Eve.
The first fire sparked just before 11 p.m. at a home on the 2500 block of Guadalupe St.
Firefighters said a couple of homeless people set a fire to stay warm, but the fire spread to some nearby trash. One of them tried to put out the fire, but received second and third-degree burns to his arms and legs.
The victim was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center in critical condition.
The second fire began around 12:30 a.m. at a home on the 2100 block of Hunter Blvd.
Neighbors woke up a man after noticing his house was on fire, which had spread to the attic and roof. It took firefighters 30 minutes to put the fire out.
Fire investigators believe the blaze began in the water heater room.
The home received around $30K in damages. The man living in the home got out safely.