UPDATE: Police Chief McManus will not step down after 'no confidence' vote

Police Chief Chief William McManus. (News 4 San Antonio Photo)

SAN ANTONIO - In a press conference Thursday San Antonio Police Chief William McManus repeatedly said he will not step down from his position.

"The most ludicrous, the most preposterous statement is that I don't care about officer safety," said Chief McManus. "I remain committed to the officers of the police department and citizens of San Antonio."

City council members and other city leaders stood behind Chief McManus, at a press conference at city hall.

McManus is facing calls for his resignation from the city's police union whose members returned a 97 percent 'no confidence' vote. The results were released Thursday morning, quickly followed by a call for his resignation from union officials.

Chief McManus called the vote illegitimate. He said - without a doubt - he will not be resigning, even when he was asked repeatedly.

One council member was noticeably not at this show of support: Cris Medina. He tells us he believes that the 'no confidence' vote should be taken more seriously.

Of the nearly 2,000 members who participated in the San Antonio Police Officers Association 'no confidence' vote (about 90% of the union's membership), 97% voted 'no confidence' in McManus' leadership.

The vote against McManus was preceded by SAPOA's criticism of how the chief handled the police shooting death of Antronie Scott. Scott was killed by Officer John Lee in early February. Lee told investigators he believed Scott was holding a gun, but it turned out to be a cell phone.

Lee faced a possible indefinite suspension, but Chief McManus decided firing Lee would be an inappropriate punishment. At the same time SAPOA released results of the 'no confidence' vote, Mayor Ivy Taylor released her own response to the San Antonio Police Department's investigation.

SAPOA also asked its membership to vote whether the union should return to labor contract negotiations with the city: 99% voted not to return to negotiations while the union is sued by the city.

SAPOA and the city have been battling for years. One of the main issues is an evergreen clause that allows an expired contract to remain in effect until a new contract can be negotiated. That clause is the basis of a lawsuit by the city against the union.

Both sides are also at odds over health insurance benefits for officers and their families.

Earlier this month, Mayor Ivy Taylor outlines several terms of a proposed deal in ongoing negotiations, but SAPOA rejected it stating it would not return to the bargaining table until the city drops its lawsuit.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off