Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Weather Alert
Winter Storm Warning
Show Less
Close Alert
Trump becomes the 47th president image
Live Event
Trump becomes the 47th president   

Donald Trump is the 47th president of the United States in his second non-consecutive term.

74-year-old COVID patient's family says hospital refused court order to give ivermectin


74-year-old COVID patient's family says hospital refused court order to give ivermectin (Courtesy: CNN Newsource / KTRK)
74-year-old COVID patient's family says hospital refused court order to give ivermectin (Courtesy: CNN Newsource / KTRK)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

SUGAR LAND, Texas (KTRK) -- The family of a 74-year-old man hospitalized with COVID-19 at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Sugar Land won a court order for the hospital to treat their loved one with ivermectin.

Despite the court order, the family claims the hospital still refuses to administer the drug.

Pete Lopez of Richmond has been at Memorial Hermann for almost a month battling COVID-19. According to his family, he was put on a ventilator on Aug. 19.

His family describes him as the patriarch of the family. The Vietnam War combat veteran suffered a heart attack a few years ago, but his family said he's otherwise healthy. In fact, they couldn't get him to slow down.

Lopez's granddaughter, Gabrielle Snider, said they have exhausted all options. That's why they want the hospital to use ivermectin, a controversial drug.

The FDA has approved its use in people for the treatment of specific parasitic diseases, but not COVID-19.

"It's a wait-and-see [situation]," Snider said. "They said there's nothing else they can do. So why not try this?"

According to Snider, Lopez was previously prescribed ivermectin by VA Medical Center, but he was admitted to the hospital before he was able to take it.

"He had the prescription with him at the hospital and the doctors knew that," Snider said. "We have been asking them to administer it since day one."

Lopez's family hired attorney Ralph Lorigo, who won similar cases in New York and Chicago.

A judge signed a court order in favor of the family on Sept. 3, according to documents.

Despite the ruling, Lopez still has not received the drug, according to his family.

ABC13 reached out to Memorial Hermann for statement. They said, "Memorial Hermann is unable to comment on pending litigation or specific cases due to patient privacy laws. It is important to note that physicians diagnose and treat patients consistent with best medical practices. It is the role of medical providers to determine safe and effective courses of treatment for patients, and then assist patients and their loved ones, if applicable, to make informed decisions about treatment options available to them. The FDA has not authorized or approved ivermectin for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19. Data currently available does not demonstrate that ivermectin is safe or effective against COVID-19 infection. Outside of ongoing clinical trials, the FDA, CDC and WHO discourage the use of ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19.

"The man's will to live is so powerful," Snider said. "He is fighting to live and Memorial Hermann is fighting against him."

Lopez's family does not wish to say whether Lopez has been vaccinated or not.

According to the family's attorney, the hospital filed an appeal. However, Lorigo said the hospital is still violating a court order. Lorigo plans on filing a motion for contempt on Tuesday.

Loading ...